Golf Club in AgraThe lush green Agra Golf Club House in located in the heart of the city which has attracted hundreds of golfers, who visit the place throughout the year. The Golf Course of Agra is located at the campus of the Circuit House which is a small drive from the city central. Raj Joti Prasad is the man attributed with bringing up this club house in 1863 after a request from Mr. A R Pollock, the then collector of Agra.
The land which was first used to grow pomegranate and measured 122.25 yards on the east and 122.25 yards on the west and was bound by the Taj Road, erstwhile Drummond Road. After extending the land by a 105 yards on the south, the land measured 32 acres and was established as a club house. Later on, the Agra Club was registered under the Indian Companies Act 1913 and became a limited company of India. It is now known as the Agra Club Ltd at 191 Mall Road, Agra. The Club was first upgraded from a nine holes course to a twelve holes one and later on in 1915 it was developed into an eighteen holes international golf course.
Agra Club Golf Course is established on spectacular lush green gardens. A few of these eighteen holes provide a unique view of the Taj Mahal. The guests are welcomed with bowed down trees which make the place all the more adorable. Even the non-golfers will love this course for its sheer beauty and elegance. There are two clean water bodies which decorate the course and makes one realize the beauty of Mother Nature. The golf course has a Caddy service available at a very minimal cost and is completely floodlit. There is a separate practice putting range for the beginners to train. Since it is one of the prime golf course of North India, the golf course hosts a good amount of national and International events. Many amateurs and professionals visit the club house with friends and loved ones.
The club is maintained to the highest standards of USPGA and has a well-planned irrigation system for its fairways and to keep the course green and beautiful. The club house also has an air conditioned multi cuisine restaurant which serves some delicious Indian and International delicacies. The golfers can also enjoy a view of the dome of the Taj Mahal while sipping some drinks at the tastefully decorated bar. The Club currently has 1625 members of which a majority belong to the Army and Air force background. The club is maintained by a management committee which is elected democratically every year. The charges of the golf course are decided by the same committee. The members can play the whole day but the non-members are only allowed one round a day. The IGU members and their guests have to pay hundred rupees for a round on weekdays and the same on weekends as well. Foreign tourists might have to shelve up to a thousand rupees to enjoy a round of golf in this green course. The golf sets can be rented for 50 rupees and the Caddy service is available for just a 100 rupees.